At Kinetic Edge, we’re celebrating the recent marriage of our athletic trainer and occupational therapy assistant, Ashley Wiersema, to Spencer Beekman. Ashley and Spencer were married on October 3 in Ashley’s hometown of Fulton, Illinois.
Ashley met Spencer at Central College in Pella. Spencer’s brother and Ashley’s best friend were dating (and are now married) and thought the two would be a good match, so they set them up. They were right.
We asked Ashley to share some of her favorite memories from their big day.
1. Our first look. I was instructed to walk down the aisle and place my hand on his right shoulder; I did not make it five feet before tears began flowing down my cheeks out of pure excitement and happiness!
2. When my dad sang “The Lord’s Prayer” during our ceremony. I had not heard him sing since I was young, and he was afraid he would not be able to make it through without crying. As we were standing at the alter facing our pastor, he said “That is more than good!” and all I could do was shake my head “yes” while tears filled my eyes with so much joy! He rocked it!
3. My sister had created a keepsake book with a written letter from each important person on my day including parents, grandparents, bridesmaids, personal attendants, and my dogs. All it took was seeing the first letter and I knew the next thirty minutes of reading would be a wet mess! Such a beautiful and thoughtful memory.
4. Entering into our reception to the song “Go Cubs Go!”
5. Our hayrack ride, around my beautiful hometown, following the ceremony with all of our bridal party!
6. My 6 a.m. run to make a perfect start to my day.
7. Seeing my sister, Kari, catch the bouquet and hearing my dad’s immediate reaction, “NO, NO, NO!!” while smiling and laughing ear to ear.
8. Having my Thistles family design our flower bouquets and decorating the church and reception hall meant the world to both Spencer and I. They knew our taste to a “t” and helped create our dream wedding come to life.
9. The outpour of love and help from our family and friends to help ensure that our wedding day would be remembered as the best day of our lives. We are so thankful!
10. Having our dogs, Wrigley and Remi, at the church to take outdoor photos with us. Dressed in their bowtie and flowered ribbon and all!