Jared and Melony first met when they both worked at Lake View Camps in Pella during the summer of 2011. Sparks started to fly as the two went on a couple dates that year and continued to both work as counselors for the next three summers. However, Jared was attending college in Ohio, while Melony was going to school in Pella so nothing major developed from their summer lovin’.
But as fate would have it, the two ended up both attending the University of Iowa, both with the intent to become a physical therapist. The two quickly reconnected, and in October of 2014, the two began to officially date.
We asked Jared to share some of his favorite memories from their big day. Here’s what he had to say:
- Seeing Mel walking down the aisle. We hadn’t done a first look, so my first glance was in the ceremony. Don’t get me wrong, I knew she was going to look good, but I was not prepared for how amazingly beautiful she looked that day.
- Grilling out with my groomsmen and family before the ceremony was a great way to calm any last second nerves I had about the future, which were very few.
- As the lone grandparent still living, it was very special to have my 89-year-old grandma from Ohio in attendance.
- My brother officiated the ceremony, which was very special. He added a lot of humor and personal touches that made the ceremony that much more special.
- I loved playing tennis with one of my groomsmen who was also my doubles partner from my college tennis days.
- Everyone at the wedding sang “Be Thou My Vision” during our time of worship. It was awesome to have all our closest friends and family sing this truth and hope for our marriage with us.
- Smashing cake in my wife’s face as we fed each other was something she should have seen coming, but sadly (at least for her) didn’t.
- Having the Hawkeyes win the dollar dance competition and hearing the Iowa fight song. My wife is an avid Cyclone fan.
- Dancing the night away with all of our closest friends and family.
- Hopping on a plane and heading to our honeymoon location, Cancun, for a week of beach, sun, and relaxation.
However, one major life change wasn’t enough for the Gerbers in the month of June. They closed the month out by purchasing their first home in Newton, Iowa. The two look forward to settling in and making this place home as they begin their married life together and Jared continues in his practice as a physical therapist in Newton.