by Jayden Kauk, PTA
Do you notice an ache or pain when reaching or lifting an item, and realize this is an activity that you used to do effortlessly? Have you tried interventions that have provided temporary relief, but haven’t been a solution? If you are still suffering from muscular pain, you might be a great candidate for instrument assisted soft tissue mobilization (IASTM).
Instrument assisted soft tissue mobilization (IASTM) can relieve muscle pain by addressing tissue stiffness. This technique enhances the natural healing process to help decrease pain, improve mobility and increase overall function during daily activities. There are various tools and techniques that can be utilized to treat your condition.
Benefits of IASTM
- Improves movement: Relaxing tighter muscles allows you to move easier throughout your daily routine. You may be able to return to activities you enjoy, or have increased movement throughout your day.
- Decreases pain/inflammation: This technique enhances your natural healing response to relieve discomfort. Your Physical Therapist will determine if you’re a good candidate for this.
IASTM can be helpful for various musculoskeletal conditions including: carpal tunnel syndrome, shoulder impingement, knee pain, ankle instability and plantar fasciitis. IASTM is a specialized treatment we offer, but it isn’t the only treatment method we rely on. The benefits you receive from this treatment can be long lasting when followed by corrective exercises prescribed by our highly trained movement experts.
What does a treatment session look like with IASTM?
- Light exercise to warm up your muscles
- IASTM performed to the tissue
- Followed by corrective exercise, prescribed by our movement specialists, while ensuring proper movement techniques
If you are experiencing pain that changes when you move, physical therapy treatment will be helpful to you. You can contact us at any one of our clinic locations (Pella, Des Moines, Oskaloosa, Newton, Centerville, or Waukee) online or by calling 866-588-0230.