by Heather Pilcher, PTA
Motion is lotion! What in the world does that REALLY mean? We’ve all heard the phrase motion is lotion but today we are going to learn just what that means and how we can use it.
Motion is lotion refers to the importance of movement to lubricate our joints with nutrient rich fluid and to maintain and improve ROM and flexibility and to decrease pain and discomfort. What we don’t use regarding range of motion and flexibility we most certainly lose over time. Also, with too much rest or down time, we tend to stiffen up and joints become more painful.
Our mission at Kinetic Edge Physical Therapy is “to transform lives and restore hope through movement.” Movement! MOVEMENT! Movement is key to our everyday lives. In fact, the American Heart Association recommends adults get at least 150 minutes per week of moderate-intensity activity. While that may sound like a very long time to be doing something you may not enjoy, it can be managed by breaking the time up into smaller sections. It could be as little as 30 minutes a day/5 days a week. They also recommend that some type of weight/strength training be performed twice a week. They also recommend that children (6-17 years) should get 60 minutes per day of moderate- to vigorous-intensity physical activity, mostly aerobic and weight/strength training 3 days per week. Children 3-5 years old should be physically active and have plenty of opportunities to move throughout the day.
So now you are probably wondering what does exercise REALY do for me? What are the actual health benefits to exercising regularly? Medline Plus reports on the following:
Health benefits to regular exercise:
- Help you control your weight
- Reduce your risk of heart diseases
- Help your body manage blood sugar and insulin levels
- Help you quit smoking
- Improve your mental health and mood
- Help keep your thinking, learning, and judgment skills sharp as you age
- Strengthen your bones and muscles
- Reduce your risk of some cancers, including colon, breast , uterine, and lung cancer.
- Reduce your risk of falls
- Improve your sleep
- Improve your sexual health
- Increase your chances of living longer
How can I make exercise a part of my regular routine?
- Make everyday activities more active
- Be active with friends and family
- Keep track of your progress
- Make exercise more fun
- Find activities that you can do even when the weather is bad
If you feel that the experts at Kinetic Edge can help you get healthy, happy, and hope-filled through exercise, please contact us online or call 866-588-0230.